Eight Wins: A Year Inside Hela Coaching
Last spring, on a particular night I laid in bed awake much longer than normal. The night was fun and uneventful - my husband and I enjoyed a date night at home listening to our favorite music. So it’s not like I was stressed or anxious about work. But I remember laying on my back, eyes open, staring at the ceiling. Emotions: calm and peaceful and curious. I had a late-night creative itch, just like I used to get in high school when I’d stay up until two or three o’clock writing.
It’s about that time in my nursing career that I know the job, I love the job, but I sometimes ache for something more. I get antsy for something creative and nontraditional, with an entrepreneurial twist. And just like that, I had the thought - I should become a health coach.
Out of all the thoughts in my brain, I’m not sure why this one stuck. But it did. I fell asleep that night daydreaming about owning my own health coaching practice, and then woke up still thinking about it. After three more months of dreaming and researching and dreaming more, I finally decided - time to take the leap!
Eight months later and Hela Coaching is a thing. Like a real, bonafide, official thing. And I couldn’t be more excited. Eight months has given me just enough time to invest in eight accomplishments for Hela Coaching.
1. Preparing. I am a gatherer of information. Before I even buy a pair of jeans, I’ve likely already priced out different brands, tried on six different styles, and set my heart on the wisest (or sexiest) choice. My preparation for Hela Coaching has been the same. I’ve listened to podcasts and read books and met with a nurse attorney and researched different coaching certifications. My research skills help me feel informed and confident with each step I take!
2. Learning. I’ve got quite a bit of nursing experience under my belt, between acute care, neuroscience nursing, and high-risk case management. But there’s always more to learn! This year I enrolled and completed the Integrative Health Coaching training with Duke Integrative Medicine - the most educational, uplifting, creative learning environment I’ve experienced in all my years of education.
3. Laying the foundation. You can’t do business without a business license or DBA (Doing Business As) - at least not legally. Here’s to all the forms and fees that made Hela Coaching official!
4. Taking risks. All of the time and money spent has been a risk. But the bigger risk personally was coming out as a business owner with something to sell. I never in a million years thought I would own my own business - it just never interested me. But now that I’ve caught the entrepreneurial bug I can’t wait to create my vision of a successful, well-rounded, supportive business.
5. Creatively planning. The wheels behind Hela Coaching are lists. Followed by more lists. Packed behind more lists. The only way I will execute steps is after I’ve planned the steps. Each planning process not only involves prioritizing according to importance and time sensitivity - but also to creative insight! The vision of Hela Coaching fuels each step of the planning process.
6. Visualizing. I literally sat down to strategically daydream what Hela Coaching would look like in my wildest dreams. I thought about the business itself, what kind of clients I would like to serve, what topics motivate me, what my workspace would look like, how I envision my waking hours and my sleeping hours - all tied into the vision for Hela Coaching. I allowed myself to think of the craziest and most fulfilling scenarios that inspire joy. And I wrote them down. And I think about those visions and images every day.
7. Connecting. A business isn’t a business if it’s not connected to the community! Over the past eight months, I’ve grown and stretched my knack for social media - not just to sit back and scroll - but to strategize in marketing. Hela Coaching now has a Facebook page and a growing Instagram account. It may not be much, but it’s a whole lot more than the nothing I had when this year started.
8. Branding. With the gracious help of artistic Miles Marketing, Hela Coaching has an official logo and matching theme. I’m an aesthetic junkie - curated photos, minimalist wardrobes, and interior design - now Hela Coaching is a tangible creative outlet for my passion.
All in all, 2017 has been a year of investing in Hela Coaching. Investing time. Investing money. Investing energy. Each step has felt like the tiniest motion forward - but looking back over the past eight months I am fully confident in the steps taken and the next steps ahead.
In 2018 you can look forward to more exciting growth:
I will continue publishing both storytelling and educational content
I look forward to more collaboration with other wellness entrepreneurs
And most importantly, I will offer coaching services starting January 2018 (at a reduced price for a limited time)!
If you are interested in a free consultation starting January 2018, join the interest list below. By signing up for this interest list you will not only get the first information of coaching services, but you will get priority in scheduling a free consultation!